Wednesday, December 29, 2010

One of my fine climbing partners, Robert, joined me on a great climb called KR Goes To Vallhala. We completed what we think was the second or third ascent of this 5.8+, 700 foot climb up the northwest face of Pontatoc Ridge near famous Finger Rock Canyon.
Looking down pitch 2 about 1/4 the way up. Note vegetation that would clean up with traffic. But don't expect that anytime soon. No queues on this route, even though I thought it was great.
Robert climbing the upper portion of pitch 2.

Looking up the crux 5.9- exciting corner. It looks loose, but it's actually pretty solid.

Climb up past agave to roof and turn it on the right with little protection. I thought this was the mental crux, if not the physical one as well. The roof move was done 20' out from protection with potential of a ledgy fall if you blow it. I didn't blow it.

Robert on the summit ridge with a great view of Tucson. A quick one hour hike down and we were homeward bound, which is only a 10 minute drive. Gotta love 10 minute commutes to 700 foot 2nd ascents. Oh, did I mention the 1 hour bushwack to the base of the climb?


A little out of order but I wanted to show the vegetation. I see agave, shin daggers, and other fine desert flora. A great two bolt anchor thanks to the 1st ascentionsists Kevin Mayhew and company.

No comments: