Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Old Pueblo 50 Mile Endurance Run - Second half

It gets lonely out on the trail sometimes. Truth be told, there are runners a few minutes behind and in front of me. Mile 27 here and feeling good. This is entering into Box Canyon, a very pretty drive and a nice uphill for 4 miles.


This is aid station 29 and the next time I see Kirsten it will be at mile 40! She scored me an ice cold berry smoothie that really hits the spot. At this point I'm feeling pretty strong and reeling people slowly. My slower pace at the beginning is paying off now. A few runners tried to run up Box Canyon and that proved to be pretty taxing. Unless you are very strong, running up Box Canyon will take its toll later on for sure.


Coming into mile 40 aid station! Only 10 to go. This is Gene and I. We both run in the Tucson Trail Runs group on Sundays. Smiles are good at mile 40!!!

A few advil, lots of electrolytes and 46 miles from the start. Coming into the 46 mile aid station, the last of the race. Turns out mile 40 to 46 was one of the hardest sections with a big climb and a big descent. I passed a runner who had fell earlier and had a really bloody knee and a bad limp. I thought she wouldn't finish but she crossed the finish line only about 30 minuntes after me. Wow! Ross Zimmerman is here taking pictures. He's the director of Tucson Trail Runs and a really nice guy. Kirsten is here, of course. She was crucial for my success in getting this far and although I'm very emotional at this point, I manage not to shed a tear. From here out its a long 4 miles to the finish.


Here are some shananigans! Paul and I race to the finish at 10 hours and 31 minutes. The race director later told us we provided the only photo finish of the race! Too funny.


The best part of having a crew is the beer aftewards! Thanks Kirsten!
A good time was had by all.
Here are the results:
http://www.oldpueblo50.com/Results_files/op50results09.htm


No comments: