Monday, April 6, 2009

Peppersauce Cave Recon

Welcome to Peppersauce Cave. This last weekend I took a solo trip around the backside of Mt Lemon, through the town of Oracle and up the Fire Control Road to the hair pin curve where you park and begin the short approach hike to the cave. This sign marks the spot where Hope Cave is and a bit further up you can see the entrance to Peppersauce.

I entered Peppersauce. A bit of graffiti marks the entrance. It gets tight quick, but never very desperate. These are called the "Fins" and they allow access to the larger rooms.

The Peppersauce Cave has been vandalized and many formations have been stolen or ruined but there are some neat features still if you can find them. These are cool Draperies, or Curtains, sometimes called Flows. The cave is living, so these are growing.

You must crawl through a small hole to get to the Fins. I took my rucksack off and slid it through in front of me to get through. Bring old jeans and a t-shirt...you will get sweaty and dirty.


This is a cool Stalagmite that reached the ceiling. I think it is called the Grand Tower or something to that effect. I turned back here but I know it goes much deeper to an underground lake, some ladders and a register book to sign if you make it that far. I only had one light and a lighter so I only went about a quarter mile in. It goes about a half mile deeper from what I've heard. Next time I'm going back with three lights, more water and a partner. Who's in?

6 comments:

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

I've been there! It was right after a winter rain (yes i know, dumb idea) and the wormhole included six inches of water...Definitely got a bit muddy on that one.

adrian korosec said...

Hey Holly,

K and I went back a week later and got pretty muddy too. Not like you though. Six inches of mud water would be very sloppy but I guess that's what caving is all about.
AK

walkerwolf said...

A little coucou from WalkerWolf, always on the mountains, with feet or ski (much snow on the Alps this year), before to start for other trails on the world (CDT on 2011?) and a lot of nostalgy for the PCT and the PCT hikers.
After many presentations of PCT in Turin and other parts of Italy, DangerProne and Hawkeye are very known in Italy!
All the best
walkerwolf

adrian korosec said...

WalkerWolf!!! So good to hear from you again. We miss the trail very much and the people as well. It hurts sometimes to know we can never experience it the way it was again. But, we can hike new trails with old friends! CDT 2011 sounds great.