Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Old Pueblo 50 Mile Endurance Run

I finally lived the dream that had consumed my mind, on and off, for the last 3 years; running a true ultra-marathon. The Old Pueblo 50 Mile Endurance Run is a classic desert southwest event. The race was put on my Lynda and was executed in grand style. Thanks to all the volunteers that made it possible....that includes you too Tom! The race went very well. I let everyone get out in front of me, and settled on the pace that I thought would carry me through. I walked most of the hills and ran much of the rest.


The runners line up with all sorts of thoughts running through their heads. All the training miles are in the banks and earning interest.


Here I say good-bye to Kirsten, my faithful crewer, and look forward to seeing her a mere 7 miles down the trail at aid station #2.


I have head lamp for the early morning darkness but it soon becomes dead weight as the sun rises over the distant Dragoon Mountains, home of Cochise's Stronghold.


This is aid station #2 at mile 7. Kirsten's here ready with a new shirt, sunscreen, snacks and other stuff I might need for the next long section of 18 miles. I'm nervous leaving this station because the next time I see Kirsten this race will be half way over and I may or may not be in such good shape by then.






No comments: