Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 6, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Robin Bird Spring
Miles: 24


Adrian:

The day started off great with a nice warm sunrise hitting our tent shortly after we woke. We struck camp around 7 a.m. and began what would be a tough day because our packs are still heavy with water and food and the terrain was quite hilly.

Golden Oak Spring had good water flowing from a pipe into a cement trough. The spring source was protected from cattle contamination by a barbed wired fence. We still filtered to be on the safe side.

After the spring we continued our walk along Sky Ranch Wind Farm. These wind turbines are perched along a ridge in four groups over several miles. They have a mechanical hum as they turn in the wind. I read this farm produces enough energy annually to supply a residential city of 300,000 people for a year.

My new hobby during rest breaks these days is repairing my Six Moon Designs Starlite backpack. The first week on this trip the stitching on the main lifting strap began to pull. I know from the small amount of gear sewing that I've done that thread quality is paramount. Well looks like the thread on this pack is really cheap because it's breaking. I should note that I treat this pack very gently because I know lightweight gear is meant to be just that, and not bombproof. Other problems I have with the pack is the left load limiter has just about ripped out, the extension collar is pulling and the mesh pockets have begun to break. The pack sits heavy on my shoulders as well but I won't mention that. I've loaded it over 35 lbs except for once perhaps. Anyway, I hope it lasts through to Mammoth or later because I'm stuck with it until at least then due to post offices, or lack thereof.

Kirsten lived up to her trail name this morning by falling down on the trail again. It always looks funny but it's not. I try not to laugh but it's hard.

Kirsten:
You'd think someone pooped in Adrian's cereal the way he is fuming about his pack. It does suck and is a serious situation. He rarely gets mad, so when it happens it's a little funny. Adrian noticed a tear in the load limiter seam a few miles before we reached the spring. He sat down to stitch up the pack with some dental floss - cool little hiker trick - and was so angry he ended up snapping the sewing needle in half. Hilarious for me. Not so much for Adrian.

No comments: