Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 7, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Cave near road SC47
Miles: 24


Adrian:
It was hard being in the woods and higher elevations and then having to hike back down to the desert floor. Again we are amongst the heat, sand, Joshua Trees and long waterless stretches.

This evening we reached a really cool campsite of boulders that formed a cave with an entrance of stacked rocks to act as a windbreak. We cowboy camped (no tent) for the first time and while windy, it was quite fun. A small opening in the cave allowed easy viewing of the billions of stars above.

These sandy mountains are a favorite playground for ATVs, motocross and jeeps. I thought of Keyeser and imagined him throttling up the hills.

Kirsten:
I'm sure Adrian's entry left you imagining some amazing cave that blocked the wind and gave us a perfect view of the night sky. Let me describe the scene with a bit more accuracy.

This was how it went down. As we finished up our hike for the day, which took us from Pinyon and Jeffrey pine forests to a sandy trail that wound its way through Joshua trees, the wind picked up. I had read in the PCT guidebook about a group of boulders near the trail that provided decent camping. As we approached the boulders the wind started blowing another 5 to 10 mph harder than before. The only spot that provided any kind of shelter from the wind was the cave. The cave was pretty cool. It was not windproof because as I hunkered down in my sleeping bag I could feel it whipping over the top of me.

The cave was still a lucky find and I give Adrian full credit for finding it.

No comments: