Thursday, July 24, 2008

July 12, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: SLT
Miles: 0


Adrian:
Good news! I was able to send home some things in my pack that I won't be needing anymore now that we are out of the high Sierra. The list includes the bear canister, fishing pole, ice axe and down jacket. This amounts to nearly 4 pounds of gear and I couldn't be happier to get rid of it. Hiking will be much more enjoyable without the weight. As a bonus, because of the reduced burden I'm able to remove the aluminum stays in my pack, further reducing weight.

Kirsten:
Another zero day. I think we've officially surpassed the acceptable number of zero days for a thru-hiker.

We did get a lot done today so it wasn't a total loss. We spent money in an effort to inject cash into the economy, for example. I chopped about six inches of hair off. That's got to be a couple of ounces of weight right there. Oh yeah, and our good friends Stephen and Billy came into town.

I'm really looking forward to putting these guys through a little trail punishment. Nothing harsh or mean-spirited, of course. Just a little PCT initiation. Maybe a rock in the pack or a potted meat sandwich for lunch. These guys are already in good shape so their adjustment to trail should be pretty easy.

No comments: