Friday, July 4, 2008

June 28, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Mammoth Lakes
Miles: 0


Adrian:
This morning at 7:45 a.m. we experienced an earthquake that scored 4.3 on the Richter Scale. The epicenter was at Tom's Place, a few miles north of Mammoth. It was our second earthquake as a couple :)

Chris came by at 8 a.m. and we went back to his house to have some espresso and organize some climbing gear for our day in Tuolumne Meadows located within Yosemite National Park. Finally set to go, we hit Schat's Bakery on the way out for pastries. I highly recommend the Pull Away Bread.

Our climb for the day would be Crying Time Again, 5.10R, on Lembert Dome. This climb is a classic for sure: 6 pitches long up the steep northwest wall of Lembert. The climb was run out enough to be spicy, but safe enough not to freak you out. It climbs solid golden granite with knobs and the occasional edge. I loved it.

That night we stayed with Julie and Chris who cooked us a huge chicken and steak dinner with great appetizers.

I think this was the best zero day yet!

Kirsten:
While Adrian was off climbing I focused on other things. Namely, eating foods I can't have in the backcountry.

I started out at Looney Bean, a local coffee shop. I had a latte and a toasted bagel while I used the Internet there. Later I went to Base Camp Cafe for lunch and had a huge salad with fried chicken pieces and about 10 iced tea/lemonades. Finally, I hit Stelar Brew, another local coffee shop, for a blackberry-peach smoothie and two cookies. Around that time Julie picked me up and we went back to their house.

Those two are wonderful hosts and after a tasty dinner we jumped in their Jacuzzi for a few minutes.

Oh, I almost forgot ... at Stellar Brew Uncle Lorenzo walked in. His leg is getting better and once he rests in Mammoth a bit more, he'll be back on the trail.

No comments: