Tuesday, July 1, 2008

June 17, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Wright Creek, Sequoia N.P.
Miles: 6


Adrian:
Today was technically a zero day but we got a few things done. Let's see, we did get 6 trail miles done, we did get some trout fishing done (no luck but a couple strikes), oh and we did climb the highest peak in the lower 48 states of the U.S.A., Mount Whitney!

Rob, Kirsten and I woke at 5:30 a.m. and started the hike an hour later. The trail wound around Guitar Lake and made its way to the basin above. Steep switchbacks led up to the junction with the Whitney Portal Trail. It was amazing how this trail would weave into and out of the wildest towers. Kirsten was out of sight around a tower when she fell again. She reported that her trekking pole got stuck and she lost her footing. Apparently the pole almost went over the big cliff next to her.

It was about a 3,000-foot climb to the summit where the Smithsonian Hut resides for research. We took pictures, had lunch and tried but failed to get a cell phone signal. All in all, we spent an hour on top.
Rob needed to take the Portal trail down and hitch a ride to Lone Pine so we said our sad goodbyes and bid him farewell. It was great to have him along. He easily kept up with us, and except for some blisters caused by small shoes, managed the four-day hike with ease. Maybe another trip down the road, Rob?

Kirsten and I sped down the trail, broke camp, and hiked the 4 miles to the PCT and did another six on that. I did a little fishing in a stream near Timberline Lake but had no luck other than a solid strike.

Tomorrow, the highest pass on the PCT! Walk good...

Kirsten:
I'm pretty sure Adrian wrangled away Lance Armstrong's heart and lungs in a game of black jack. He practically floated up the switchbacks to Mount Whitney while my pace slackened to a slow molasses ooze. Every time I hike and hit about 13,000 feet, my body begins to reject the high altitude environment I happen to be in. I still made to the top. It was just a struggle.

Today was the first day that I even considered leaving the trail. I know why and those thoughts passed as we set up camp for the night. I've been so focused on my mini-goals, just get to Warner Springs, OK now to Idlywild and so on, that I haven't had time to get homesick. And where is home, anyway? Our house is rented, our family and friends scattered about. Adrian is my home in most ways. Still, having my brother join us for a few days abruptly swept me back into my pre-trail life. When he left the summit and began his descent, I was surprised at how emotional I was about his departure and how overwhelmed I felt at the thought of the trail ahead. Slowly, as we pushed on through more miles I fell back into my routine and started enjoying the Sierras again.

No comments: