Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Penguin mania


I've never been an organized-tour type of girl. And while Adrian cringes at the sight of the giant tour buses that we encounter absolutely every where, he is still partial to those trail talks the park rangers give back in the States. I know, what a nerd - he wants to actually learn things.



But there is a point to all of this. In Ushuaia to see the best stuff - meaning the penguins - you have to sift through about a dozen or so companies that offer tours. Thankfully, Alejandro Galeazzi, the owner of Galeazzi-Basily B&B, where we stayed, knows the owner of Harberton Estancia, the oldest home in the area on a massive track of land on the Beagle Channel. So we drove out to the ranch, the photo above shows how windy it is there.

The tour company that operates through Harberton also happens to be the only ones allowed to land on the island where the penguins come to breed.

Yup, that's right we got to walk around an island with thousands of penguins. At one point I sat on the beach and a big honker of a guy walked right past, maybe two feet away. A museum equiped with researchers are also located on the estancia an they spend their time studying the penguins and compiling, cataloging and constructing marine skeletons.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Wow! Penguins!

(then i sat, pondering, looking for a witticism to add. Nope, I am too excited about the penguins, it stops here)

Samantha said...

I want to see penguins!

mvalenti said...

Oh my gosh! that would be a dream job for me. I love penguins! My friend actually called the local zoo in high school to see if she could purchase one for me...I Can't wait to see the photos:)

Sis said...

i told karina about your penguin post at bedtime and she was completely quiet for about a minute at which point she asked, "why was there only one penguin that went next to tante kirsten?" it was very cute. she and we would love to be there w/ you guys!

suzy said...

Pictures, I want pictures!!! I want penguins....but, I will settle for pictures! :-)

Linda said...

Now Adrian, enough is enough. Even though I envy what you and Kirsten are doing you need to come back to Entrust. Sure miss you in the morning and sure need help on the payables.

Seriously, what a way to go.....I think I'm ready for retirement and would love to do exactly what you're doing. Don't blame you one bit. Enjoy! By the way, I do read your blog almost on a daily basis. Keep up the good work.

mvalenti said...

That is such a cute penguin!