Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 06, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: 5-way road junction on Long John Saddle
Miles: 26


Adrian:
Mini-series to be continued...

Today was historic for us as we passed into Oregon at mile 1,698.8 and celebrated with Beautiful, Gorgeous, and Miss Potato Head. Beautiful packed in two beers that we drank at the border. The line is located on an uphill section with a trail register and simple wooden sign nailed to a tree reading, "Oregon / California". We finally made it out of the state that lasts forever! It's an amazing state with such diversity and awesome natural resources. The fires have been bad this year, but they are a big part of what summer in California is all about. Thanks Cali, it's been a wonderful, long, strange trip.

Kirsten:
I got a little misty today thinking about how far we've come, how much we've gone through since leaving the Mexican border more than three months ago. I thought about how weak I was when we started. I actually a little surprised I made it through those early days. I wonder why I made it and others have not. The only reason I've come up with is my steadfast belief that it would get an easier as time went on. I really believed and still do that tomorrow will be better that today. It's a bit delusional, I know. There are still many days or parts of days where I think, "This is the hardest part yet." You'd think I would start losing faith. That's not to say I haven't absolutely miserable, break-down-and-cry-because-you-can't-pound-your-tent-stake-in kind of moments. Tantrums - silent or balls out fist flying scenes - happen on the trail. It's what happens after that seems to separate those who can rise above their bad moments and those who continue to pick at it.

No comments: