Sunday, August 24, 2008

August 20, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Elk Lake Resort, Three Sisters Wilderness
Miles: 15


Adrian: Rain, rain, rain.

Kirsten: I had grand aspirations for today. The weather had other plans for us. The swarming mosquitoes and drizzling rain kept us moving all morning and we reached the junction to Elk Lake Resort by noon. I figured we could hike the mile down to the resort, grab a hot meal and dry off before hitting the trail again.

And then it happened. The burgers came, the rain continued to fall and we started the fun little math games all hikers play. "So if we had a really big day tomorrow then we could still make it to.... etc., etc."

It didn't help that Clearwater and Rooster also wanted to stay, which is exactly what we ended up doing. We were able to stay in a basic hiker cabin thanks to Free and Easy Going, a Washington couple in their 60s.

I was initially a little bummed we weren't heading out to hike. I changed my mind as the on-and-off mist turned to a steady drizzle and finally to driving rain. As I drifted off to sleep in the incredibly warm loft of the cabin I thought of our friends out in the watery elements. I was certainly happy to be in the cabin. I only wished we had the rest of our loosely organized gang with us.

No comments: