Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 1, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Scott Mountain Summit, Highway 3
Miles: 31

Adrian: A record day for on trail miles! After what might be the best sunrise of the trip, Moonpie, Kirsten and I started hiking at 6:40 a.m. (Moonpie a bit earlier) and finished at 8:30 p.m. (me a bit earlier). We all felt solid right to the end and could have put more miles in if we felt we needed to. We are trying to minimize the miles required on Sunday into Etna so we have more time to do town stuff.


The smoke was worse today than it ever has been on our trip. Visibility was about 1 mile and our throats; nose and eyes were feeling the effects. It feels claustrophobic with no views due to smoke. I hope the wind changes tonight.

38 miles to Etna Summit, where the closure starts and we hitch into town. I can only hope the smoke clears...even just a little bit.

Kirsten: I was convinced I was getting a head cold. And then I realized I've been hiking through smoke for days. My throat has been scratchy for the past day and my eyes feel red. I say, "feel" because I don't have a mirror.

I can't believe how good my feet are holding up after 31 miles. I only hope this is a sign of what's to come.

No comments: