Sunday, August 24, 2008

August 23, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Sisters Inn
Miles: 0


Adrian: Kirsten decided we needed a zero day and I did not protest.

We found out my family is going to meet us at the finish! The date we picked is September 25. I've done some calculations and we'll have to average 20 miles per day till the end to make the date. We've been doing lots of 25-mile days, so I'm confident we'll make it and still have a few zeros to rest and dry up after rainstorms. I'm very excited about them coming to Manning Park. It'll be great to have a cheering squad waiting for us. Now all we have to do is make the date!


We resupplied, ate, and rested. Tomorrow Lloyd picks us up in the morning, around 8 a.m. and we'll continue our hike north to Canada.

Kirsten: Sometimes you need to put your feet up. I'm looking forward to hiking again. I also spent most of yesterday running around Sisters and felt less than rested when awoke. So this morning I was relieved when Adrian agreed to a day off.

After breakfast at a nearby restaurant, we hit the grocery store to resupply for the upcoming 114-mile leg to Timberline Lodge at Mount Hood. We spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon sorting through our food and more importantly, cleaning my funk-infested backpack. Beautiful and Gorgeous called and we all met up for lunch at Sno Cap, a popular hamburger and milkshake joint on Sisters' main drag.

On my way to met them I ran into Lil' Wrangler, who had a wild karaoke-blessed night with Yeti in Bend. Apparently they bought some tight-fitting duds at a thrift store and got a ride up to Bend. After a detour to Sears to have their family portrait taken with the 20-year-old guy who gave them a ride into town, they hit a hotel bar for karaoke. It doesn't surprise me that they had the entire bar singing along.

Adrian and I are full of marion berry milkshakes now and are watching the Olympics. The trail awaits.

No comments: