Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 13, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Just inside Crater Lake National Park
Miles: 27.5


Adrian: The sting has gotten better regarding the swelling, but the itching continues. It feels so good to itch it.

The mosquitoes are back and while they are hit or miss, when they do they hit hard. We used deet for the first time in a while. Our supply is running low so we'll have to pick some up in Mazama Village at Crater Lake. Our box is there too.


We've done some decent mileage today and are in great position to get into Mazama early since its only 5 miles away. Our plan is to do laundry, shower and eat.

We've been hiking and camping on and off with Lorenzo and Clearwater. We are all having a great time and casually running into each other all day.

The trail has been staying quite high and traversing the tops of many ridges. We've left Sky Lakes Wilderness and entered Crater Lake National Park. We are excited to see the attraction and plan to camp on the rim for sunset and sunrise viewing.

Kirsten: We had some of the best views in Oregon this morning as we walked a ridge in the Sky Lakes Wilderness. We met our first southbound thru-hiker along the ridge.

As we descended the ridge into Douglas fir forest the butterflies were thicker than the mosquitoes at times. I occasionally had to slow down to avoid stepping on them.

My food situation would be a crisis if we weren't getting into Crater Lake tomorrow morning. I spent large chunks of the day hungry and this isn't fun for Adrian. I know what a lack of food does to me so I've been trying my hardest to keep my head. I've done a pretty good job of rationing. I figure if I ever get captured by guerillas this skill might come in handy.

No comments: