Sunday, August 24, 2008

August 19, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Cougar Flat, Three Sisters Wilderness
Miles: 26.5


Adrian: It rained a few times last night but we stayed dry. The tent was put away wet and the mosquitoes drove us back to the trail.

Not long after starting this morning I started feeling pain from a crack on my heel. Why it hurts now is beyond me, but hurt it does. I have to alter my step to compensate for the pain and that leads to more pain from stressing already hard working ligaments. Tonight I put Neosporin on it and have it bandaged. I'm not sure what else to do about it. I could use some super glue or new skin, none of which are now available.

We passed many lakes today, and they remind me of northern Wisconsin or Canada. They are usually clear with some sandy shore and surrounded by pine trees. I've heard many of these ponds have gross water for drinking, but so far they've been pretty good to us.

I've got to remember to get some new trash bags to line the inside of my pack. I'm pretty sure the holes are compromising the dryness of my gear. The weather is cold at night, maybe down into the lower 40s, so dryness means warmth, which in turn means safety. I'll get some good heavy-duty trash compactor bags with 3 mil plastic for puncture proofness.

I'm really having a good time as of late and enjoying the hike. I've got a good understanding of what I am able to do physically, so if I stay within those limits, I have more time to work on the mental challenges. More on that later.

Walk good...

Kirsten: The mosquitoes along this stretch are like tiny annoying ninjas. They strike fast - no meaningless buzzing around - and effortlessly find any exposed skin. I had pulled my shirtsleeves down past my hands and within seconds a mosquito found a spot on the tip of my finger.

We found a perfect lunch spot, which means it was sunny, dry and windy enough to keep those stinging bastards at bay. It was comforting to hike and chat with Beautiful and Gorgeous. It's not as if we're all best friends and totally inseparable. Our friendship does have an effortless air to it though and I see it continuing after this adventure is over.

We didn't end up camping together tonight. This is pretty typical among thru-hikers. We hike together for a bit, have a great time and then go our own way for a while. The best part comes days later when you reconnect and the cycle starts all over.

No comments: