Friday, August 15, 2008

August 11, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: South Fork Little Butte River
Miles: 26

Adrian: We got out of camp around 6:50 a.m. and made slow time all morning for some reason. I bought new Nikes in Ashland and am still breaking them in, so my feet are a bit tender. Things should be worked out soon.

We enter Rogue River National Forest, which features vast pine plantations. Section B gets sour reviews, but if you big forests mixed in with a small bit of logging, it's fine. Water is scarce here and we have to leave trail to get it most times. I'll have to increase my water capacity for after Crater Lake there are 25 miles segments without water.

While walking today I got stung by something fierce on my right calf, near the bottom. It hit and then kept stinging until I was able to swipe it away. It hurt. It hurt so much I had to look at it to make sure it wasn't a snakebite. So it continued to hurt all day and then it mellowed out at night.

Today we hiked through the Sky Lakes Wilderness, staying high above the numerous lakes below. A light breeze blew into the thick pine forest. Spanish moss look-alike hung from the tree branches and bright green lichen clung to the trunk.

Kirsten: Wow, Adrian let me know when you've traded in your skirt and are ready hike with the rest of us. Actually I hike in a skirt so I just ripped on myself. Although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have cried like a baby after getting stung. His ankle does look a little nasty though.

We met a couple today from Switzerland, Mamma Mia and Philip. There are a number of overseas hikers on the trail. The Swiss couple, Lorenzo, a couple from Belgium called the Belgian Waffles, Germinator from Germany and a number of others. Mamma Mia was so positive about her time here. She said a number of people, all strangers, had taken them in along the trail. It's comforting to know these overseas travelers will leave the United States with a good impression. Our country certainly some positive PR these days.

No comments: