Thursday, May 1, 2008

April 30, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Long Canyon Creek ford
Miles: 17.5

Adrian: Happy Birthday to Suzy and my Dad!

I woke up at 6 a.m. and was quite stiff and sore. Granola and powdered milk for breakfast and we are off. A quick climb out of Morena Lake and it's out of sight. The trail is full of wild flowers at the moment and we've hit a lusher chaparral. I enjoyed the trail today.

We ran into Roadrunner, who is thru-hiking this year after doing a 500-mile section warm-up last year. He shared some good advice about not pushing the miles in the beginning. I think we might be doing that. We'll have to take it easy for the first 10 days before we get our feet under us.

Kirsten is hiking well. Some blisters showed up today which are never pleasant. We bandaged and duct-taped accordingly.

Kirsten: As Adrian apparently has already informed you all, I have been blessed with two blisters.

In other news ... Today was much better. It was cool and the landscape was always interesting. I love seeing the desert awash in spring flowers. The agave plants - in full bloom - dot the landscape. In the beginning of the day we got a surprise from my parents. What a find! That little note made my day!

Funny moment of the day? Watching Adrian pour denatured alcohol instead of water into his meal. :)

No comments: