Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 29, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Saufley's
Miles: 0


Adrian:
I feel better this morning! Amazing what water and a good night's sleep will do for you.

Today we take the Volvo, one of two cars and 5 bikes that they loan out to hikers for running errands. We'll go to REI, the grocery store and maybe even get a haircut. Because we are only 30 minutes from Northridge (L.A.), we have any store we could dream of needing.

When you arrive here Donna gives you loaner clothing and does your laundry. She then assigns you a cot or bedroom, or in our case the front cab of the horse trailer out behind the barn :)

The Saufley's house sits on about 3 acres. They have 2 horses and 7 dogs all of which have been rescued.

I met Tattoo Joe today. He holds the speed record for the PCT. He did the whole thing in 79 days. He's going for it again this year and starts in a couple weeks. I wished him luck and hope we see him on trail.

I also learned Rocketgirl is a made up hiker. She supposedly held the record but she's not real so...I'm bummed as she was my hero, just kidding but it is funny.

I also met Squatch, who made all the Walk series of PCT movies.

This is the epicenter of the PCT, no doubt. It's a lot of fun and the energy is high. Hikers come and go all the time, each highly motivated and after 450 miles, elite. We are among hiking giants from all over the world. It feels good.

Kirsten:
OK, Adrian lay off the sugar cereal. We ran errands today with Walt and another married couple Danger, that is his real middle name, and Wildflower. They are a pretty awesome young couple who are fast and motivated. We'd love to keep hiking with them. I think they'll blow by us soon.

So, the Saufley's. Where do I begin? The morning starts with Donna cleaning up her house, saying goodbye to hikers, feeding her dogs and horses. Then she cleans up the property, the rooms, the bathroom etc., all the while switching out laundry and welcoming hikers.

The atmosphere here has a relaxed energy about it. The Saufleys have been doing this for 12 years and they're not burned out. As Donna puts it "I'm just doing my thing."

It's hard for me to understand how they can give so much of themselves. Every time I think about I get overwhelmed. Have you given like this? Not necessarily house 30 hikers a day. And I don't mean writing a check to your alma mater or local charity. I'm talking about giving in a way that might mean sacrificing on your part. The kind of giving that will make your life a little more difficult at times.

I can't say I've ever met that standard. I think it's time I start practicing.

Speaking of trail angels, the Moore's drove to Saufley's today to visit hikers who stayed with them. Maria brought Mexican food. I have no words.

1 comment:

Timecheck said...

I thought RocketGirl was the real thing - what info do you have that says she was made up?