Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 4, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: San Ysidro Creek
Miles: 21

Adrian: The creek we are camped next to flows with clear water but we see signs of cows and horses telling us that this water has been contaminated. We expected such and took water from Barrel Springs. The camp is nice with large oak trees, green grass and a river runs through it. The terrain is small rolling wooded hills. Mostly short scrub trees except in the wash next to the creek where there are large oak and sycamore trees.


Today we woke up at 4:40 a.m., but got out of the tent at 5:10. It was a beautiful sunrise and miles floated by. We reached a water cache that we assumed would be empty but it was full. We stopped to sign a register and talk with Kevin and Joe. Ninja came by and Jesse we passed earlier.

People are talking about the Apache Fire up in Idyllwild. We hear the PCT is closed, as is Devil's Slide trail. The PCTA has put out a re-route already and while we are concerned, there is little we can do but hike. We hope there is an update about the situation in Warner Springs.

Kirsten and I feel good. The usual aches and pains, but they are manageable.

Tomorrow we reach Warner Springs! There we will pick up a package we sent ourselves with food and supplies and where we will take two nights off the trail and relax in the hot springs. It's a 4-mile hike and 1.5-mile hitchhike.

Today we hiked our first 100 miles and tomorrow we take a little r&r ... and we could use some.

Kirsten: Once again Adrian failed to mention the grotesquely large rattlesnake that blocked our path before reaching Barrel Springs. We snapped a photo or two and after I tapped my trekking poles into the dirt - a safe distance away - the snake moved up the hill. What I have come to realize is how silently they move. Which means one of these suckers could be right next to me at this moment and I wouldn't know. Until it was too late. I think I'm obsessing.
OK, moving on.

During our break at Barrel Springs, we met Boots, a character in his own right out of Colorado. As you've probably already guessed, he got his name because of the large boots he wears. I expect we'll run into Boots along trail as we move north and look forward to his entertaining tales of high adventure.

On a parting note, I'd like to stress how badly I need a shower. I try to clean up during our extended breaks and at night before we go to bed. This is not adequate. I fear it will only get worse. What could be worse than not showering for six days? The day I no longer care that I'm stinking up the place. That will be the day when my hobo transformation will be complete.

No comments: