Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 5, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Warner Springs Resort
Miles: 6

Adrian: We woke at 7 a.m. inside a very wet tent due to condensation. We have a single-walled tarp style tent designed to be lightweight and waterproof. While single wall tents are much lighter than their cousins that employ a tent and fly arrangement, they suffer from condensation caused by the occupants breathing. There are ways to avoid this phenomenon that include proper ventilation, campsite choice and others. No big deal, just a minor inconvenience.

We started hiking through oak savanna with waist high grass and huge shade oaks. The trail traversed golden meadows dotted with granitic formations. One such formation is called Eagle Rock. From the right angle it looks just like a huge eagle complete with wings, body, neck and head. We took some pictures and will post them soon. We took the chance to dry out our tent and sleeping bags in the sun while hanging out at the rock.


The trail lead easily along to Hwy 79 which lead to the Warner Springs Resort where we are taking a zero-mile day and re-supplying with a package we sent ourselves from Tucson. We reached the second crossing of Hwy 79 and started hiking the 1.4 miles into town while trying to hitchhike where cars zoomed by. About 10 minutes into the road walk a nice couple stopped and gave us a ride to the resort.

As we stepped out of the van we saw Ninja who greeted us with a smile and gave us the quick intro into how things work here. We booked our room, did laundry (we needed it!), swam in the sulfur hot springs, ate lunch, picked up our box from the post office, rested and went to dinner. We got to dinner at 8:01 p.m. and it closed at 8 p.m. They let us take out a meal to the bar next door which was perfectly fine with us. Joe, Kevin, Jesse, Boots, and Ninja all joined us after they ate. Rumor has it two German girls are hiking the trail and are here at the resort. Maybe I'll have a chance to practice some German!
Walk good...

Kirsten: Did I just hike more than 100 miles? You're damn right, I did. Not that this is some huge feat of strength, intelligence or humanitarianism. But hey, I'll celebrate what I can. And since I'm not working on a cure for cancer - cuz I'm not a brilliant doctor - I will instead wallow in my tiny personal milestone.

I'm pretty sure I have never walked 100 miles in one stretch before. I think it's something I'd remember. When trekking in Chile we came close.
But this somehow seems like a bigger accomplishment. Maybe it's because I smell worse than I did on the Chile trek.

Speaking of stinkiness, I took a shower today. And I ate cheeseburger and fries the size of my forearm. My body was ready for the shower. After six days of rice, pasta and peanut butter is was not ready for the burger. I had to retreat to our casita and take a nap after our meal.
In another day I think I'll be ready to hit the trail.

No comments: