Monday, May 19, 2008

May 12, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Fuller Ridge
Miles: 11


Adrian: We hiked out of Idyllwild around noon after charging our phone, camera and iPod batteries. A very nice couple gave us a ride from town to the trailhead, which was a steep two miles. We saw about eight other thru-hikers in the first 3 miles, which means we are slowly starting to catch the larger pack that is in front of us. It's nice to have company, but I hope we still get to enjoy some solitude.

We wanted to make it across the fearsome Fuller Ridge today, but darkness and wind prevented that. Tonight we are camped on a slope in mixed conifers including Ponderosa, Sugar, Lodgepole and Jeffery pines. Because we backtracked off the saddle at the beginning of Fuller, it's not as windy as on the ridge. Sparky is nearby.

Snow is all around and at times still 5 feet deep. The sunset was sublime.

Kirsten: Today, I hitchhiked telepathically. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

It was one of those moments when you're thinking to yourself "I could really use ... a bath, $1 million, a high five," whatever and all of a sudden it's there. That's what happened to me; only I got a retired couple with an SUV.

I was on my way to meet Adrian - all the while thinking about how we needed to find a ride up to the trailhead. This couple saw me with my backpack, honked and asked me if I needed a ride. "Why yes, I do."

There is an affliction among PCTers called the town hangover. This isn't about going on some drinking bender. It describes the sluggish feeling many hikers have after eating a ton, running errands etc., etc. in town. The first few miles today I was trying to put some distance between myself and my lingering trail hangover. Hiking with a few other PCTers helped and by the time the sun dipped below the clouds, kicking off a technicolor light show, I was cured.

No comments: