Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 27, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Maddox Canyon
Miles: 22


Adrian:
I woke up cold last night and couldn't find my down jacket. In the morning Kirsten pulled it out of her sleeping bag! I'll find a way to get back at her. Maybe a rock in the backpack.

Last night we camped with Doc, Yeti, Walt, and Steve. Not far away were Justin, Albert, Steph and Fight Club. The Mill Creek Ranger Station offered us water and flush toilets; what luxury!

Kirsten's ITB seems to be holding up well and that makes us both happy. I'm doing fine and I'm thankful for that.

Today's hike featured two 1000+ feet climbs and a bone-crushing descent at the end of the day. Even though it was a tough section, we both feel healthy.

Our camp tonight is next to a small creek in a burned out canyon. It once held sycamore trees and was the nicest camp spot in many miles. No longer...


As the water trickles by I can hear Fight Club and Steph set up their camp. Doc is just across the creek as well. Kirsten reads tomorrow's hike description from the guidebook. We are all thinking of Hiker Heaven at the Saufley's tomorrow. The most famous trail angels on the PCT!

Kirsten: During our one of our many breaks, I watched Adrian grab a tortilla and place peanut butter, honey, cayenne pepper, dried pineapple and some Wheat Thins on it. This worries me. Not because of the meal. In fact, at the time I was a little jealous. I'm worried because this seems like a normal meal to me.

The hike today was fine. I am thinking about the Saufley's a lot. If you're not familiar, this is a couple who do more than simply open up their home. More on them tomorrow.

No comments: