Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May 9, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Thomas Mountain Detour
Miles: 20

Adrian
: We woke this morning with the goal of finding out if the fire would cause us a detour and to make sure we would make it to the Paradise Cafe for the famous Jose Burger, rumored to be the best on the PCT. It was 12 miles until we would know our fate.

The trail was through steep canyons and the morning light made the mountains looks like layers of jagged peaks, one laying on top of the other. Almost like a watercolor.

We passed another water cache left by PCT hikers of previous years. It was half full but we took no water because we had more than enough to hike make the next source. We've learned not to rely on the water caches and to be self-sufficient. It is safer and better style.

We walked to Hwy 74 with the anticipation of finding out if we could walk the 28 miles to Idyllwild on the PCT or if we would be required to walk a detour. Our hopes were high....but....the trail was still closed and we were faced with a 17-mile road walk, a hitchhike to skip the section, or to hike a 25-mile detour over mountain bike and jeep trails. We chose the Jose Burger for now.

Jordan from Madison, Wis., was there waiting for Emily's Dad. We ordered the burger and it was all that. Jalapenos, green chilies, swiss, bacon, lettuce, onion, pickles and more...it was great.

Before eating our meal a baby rattlesnake wandered up to the entrance of the patio where were seated. The manager came out and killed it. I was pretty pissed off but my opinion didn't hold much water with those guys. The adolescent snakes are more dangerous than the adults because they cannot control the amount of venom they release. The adults only release a small amount to save some for later. It takes time to make more venom. The kids give you the full dosage. The small snakes are much harder to see and they don't rattle yet.


We decided to do the jeep and mountain bike trail detour even though it was unmarked and had no water info. We had good topographic maps though and had confidence in our navigation skills.

We started the detour right from the cafe and followed the Thomas Mountain Rd to hwy 74 to Herkey Canyon to Southridge trail to Idyllwild.

We are camped at 5000 ft, just west of Thomas Mountain Peak with Jordan nearby.

While setting up the tent we broke the rear pole. I fixed it with duct tape but I do not think it will hold for long. This is potentially a bad situation. On Monday we will call Henry Shire and see how soon he can mail us a replacement. I'm hoping Big Bear City, as it's only 90 miles away. Hopefully it holds up that long.

Tomorrow we try to make Idyllwild.
The detour has turned out to be very scenic and we feel good hiking a trail when most are hitching or road walking.

Walk good...

Kirsten: Adrian pretty much described the day. So ... peace out.
I will write briefly about Emily's dad. That's his trail name. His other name is Paul. I don't know his complete story except that he is hiking the PCT trail as a tribute to his daughter Emily, who died in Yosemite. I don't know the circumstances of her death. I've heard she was hiking, but this could be a rumor.

I've thought about Emily's dad a lot since I first heard about him a few days ago. And then all of a sudden I met him on the trail. I knew the reason behind his name. But it was still a little shocking when he uttered his name to me. It now made it real and not just some hiker rumor.

I've wondered, What would I do if something happened to my child? Or to Adrian? Would I have the strength to do any of this? To hike every day for miles and miles all the while thinking of my greatest loss? What would you do?

It's seems like a wonderful way to tribute your child's life. It also seems torturous. Of all the people I've met so far, I hope he finishes. And I hope he finds some peace through all of this.

No comments: