Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 17, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Big Bear Lake
Miles: 4


Adrian: We are sitting in the Big Bear Hostel enjoying a "nearo". A nearo is as close to a zero mile day as you can get. Most of the day is spent doing town chores like re-supply, laundry and eating. The other time is spent resting and socializing with other PCTers.

I've done some calculations and found that we are averaging 14 miles a day since the start with zero and nearos included. If we keep this pace we'll finish October 25, which is of course too late. In order to finish on our desired date of October 1, we'll need to up our average to 18 miles per day.

We've got time to up our average, so I'm not too worried about it, though I'd be lying if I said our current pace doesn't concern me.
See ya on the trail...

Kirsten: While Adrian worries about how fast we're going I concern myself with bigger issues. Food is high on the list. Bathing as well.

I weighed myself today and I've lost seven pounds. I need to eat around 4,000 calories a day while I'm on the trail just to maintain my weight. I'm clearly not meeting that amount. I may need to start eating those Mrs. Redd's cakes, which have 500 calories and 22 grams of fat.

This evening we met David, who is good friends with a guy my brother works and hangs out with. We ended up eating dinner together with a few other PCTers. Hopefully, we se him on the trail again soon.

No comments: