Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 1, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Laguna Campground
Miles: 11

Adrian: Kirsten sums it up well. We have employed our plan to lower the miles and build up as the trail and our bodies allow. It feels pretty cheesy slowing down, but I remember my experience with running and how easily you can wear yourself out by going out too fast. Lets hope it works and we don't run out of time.

For some reason I didn't think the trail would be so hard. Tomorrow we descend into the desert again and the weather forecast calls for 77 degrees F. Water becomes very scarce for the next 135 miles.

We slept in today until 7:45 a.m. We are in bed now at 7:56 p.m and it's almost dark. It's getting down to 33 F tonight. The alarm is set at 6 a.m. We are camped at Mt. Laguna National Forest Campground for $17 a night. Luckily, we have split the cost with Kevin and Joe, two thru-hikers from Long Island. They hiked the Appalachian Trail southbound in 2003.

A special thanks to Sheila, Peggy and Bill for signing our Trail Journal guestbook. When someone signs in, we get a special e-mail with the comments made by the author(s). It's always appreciated.
Walk good ...

Kirsten: My entries the past two days have been abysmal. I'm pretty sure I used the word "landscape" twice in one sentence and my paragraphs were riddled with spelling errors. I blame all the physical activity my body has undergone these past few days.
Today my feet were not at war with me. The cool air and the oak grove-lined trail certainly helped. With any luck this tentative cease-fire agreement I've negotiated with my toes will become permanent.

This morning we left our camp in Long Canyon and ascended up deeper into the Laguna Mountains. At about mile 5.5 we reached the Mount Laguna campstore. We stocked up on a few more snacks and chatted with other PCT hikers. We finished up about five miles past the campstore and the shorter day was a welcome respite.

In these first few days, I've learned humbleness and humor get you much further than confidence. I've also figured out there is no one "right" way to do this hike or anything else for that matter. I've met hikers who have had to rest two days after the first 20 miles. I've met others who have revamped their entire system - backpack, shoes etc. - because it just wasn't working for them. I've met PCTers who hike 10 miles and others who regularly hit 20 a day.

And that's the comforting part in all of this. Doing it my way may not be right. It's probably not wrong either.

No comments: