Thursday, May 22, 2008

May 16, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Arrastre Creek Rd
Miles: 19.5


Adrian: Happy Birthday Karina!
Thanks to Tanya, Suzy and LA for signing our guestbook.

We broke camp at 7:30 a.m. understanding we weren't going to make it Big Bear today. We now know, sitting in camp having just eaten dinner, we could have made the last 4 miles to Hwy 18 where we would hitch to town. So we sit and eat our Pasta-Roni and watch the sunset.

The reason we could have hiked 23 miles today is that the terrain was cooperative and the pull of a town stop was strong. Big Bear, tomorrow!

The last couple days out of Idyllwild had some serious elevation change, snow, hot, and dry sections. We saw San Jacinto and walked though its National Forest and State Park. We hiked down into the sand and heat of the San Gorgonio Pass, and hiked back out. We climbed almost to the top of the San Bernadinos at 8,600 feet and camped in the crisp mountain air. Section B ended and C started with amazing but hard hiking. I'm glad it's in the books and we are still hiking strong.

Kirsten: Maybe it's the lighter load I'm carrying or that we're about to hit Big Bear, but today has been a breeze.

During one of our breaks we chatted with a few hikers, among them was Jordan, the guy from Madison, Mike and Kat, a couple who work for a non profit that helps build homes in Tijuana, and Piper. In the midst of the break, Jordan pulled out this ultra fattening snack called Mrs. Redd's. He now has the trail name Fatty Cakes.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hello! You both look fit and happy if not a bit tired and freaked by various snakes (I totally get that K). I love watching your journey. I will be moving in less then a week so I am surrounded by boxes and wishing I could live in a tent to rid myself of all the extras surrounding me. I hope your journey continues to go well and you are inspiring me to do the same trip some day....continue in style! I love and miss you two! Havasupai in October?