Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 7, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Combs Peak
Miles: 17.6

Adrian: The day started well when Kirsten managed to find us a ride to the trailhead from the manager of the resort. Really nice staff at the Warner Springs Ranch.

The trail started in a sandy wash with the barely flowing Aqua Caliente Creek. We would filter water from the stream further up canyon. Jeep trails crossed the PCT many times but the route was well signposted keeping us from getting lost. We followed the creek for 4 miles and then switchbacked up a ridge towards the Lost Valley spring 9 miles from the start of the hike.

Lost Valley spring was down a spur trail off the PCT about a quarter of a mile. It came out as a trickle between two large boulders. A concrete cistern, a catch basin so to speak, held about 300 gallons of cold desert spring water. Large trees that provided cool shade grew near the cistern. It was a great place.

We carried on another 8 miles through somewhat mundane arid desertscape with vibrant wildflowers. Then we came upon the final climb of the day as well as the last water source.

Turning right on Chihuahua Valley Road we walked a 2\10ths of a mile to Mike's - a trail angel - house. Mike hosts, cooks for, and helps hikers that wander into his property on the trail. Some just stop for water like we did, others stay overnight. Sadly, Mike was not around so we took some water, carrots, and tostadas and left a small donation. The water is worth gold because the nearest source is 13 miles in either direction!

We hiked the remaining 2 miles and 1,000 vertical feet to a burned out, windy pass on Combs Peak. The wind blew hard all night and with it came very fine sand pouring under the tarp and into every crevasse of the shelter and its occupants. With the wind and sand, it was shades of San Felipe Sand Storm of 2007 for those of you in the know.

We didn't sleep well that night.

Kirsten: I only seem to think about snakes, my feet and water - not necessarily in that order. I don't know where this fear of rattlesnakes came from. I grew up in southern Arizona - the Disneyland for rattlers. And yet here I am hiking up the Agua Caliente Creek and with every rustle of the bushes I'm jumping or hollering. My paranoia grows with every shriek.
It doesn't help that I keep seeing snakes. Gardner, gopher, king and rattlesnakes - I've seen them all. And today is no different.

Later, as the temperature rose into the 80s, I pushed the snakes into the background and started thinking about my feet and water. My feet seem to holding up despite my shoes. I may need to buy new ones before this blister war ends.

The problem with water was solved today through the kindness of a trail angel. Mike H. lives near the trail and opens up his home to hikers. At first I was apprehensive about this guy. I mean, why help hikers? My cynical mind was spinning. And then while at his house I read the hiker log. Every hiker had glowing things to say about Mike. He cooked for hikers, allowed them to stay at his house etc. Maybe there is hope for the human race after all.