Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 8, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Nance Creeklet
Miles: 11

Adrian: I slept about an hour last night. This morning there is sand everywhere. I had to get out of the tent and into the storm three times; once for the restroom and two to replace stakes that pulled out because of the wind. I am happy that the tent wasn't damaged.

We started at a late 8:30 a.m. and made good time despite the increasing heat. If you don't start hiking by 6 a.m. in the desert this time of year, you'll have a hard time getting in 20 miles.

We took a half-day today because it was real hot, we were tired from last night and because we found a great campsite. It was nice to have some time to cook, write and just enjoy an afternoon and evening on the PCT.

Tomorrow we hike by 6 a.m. and are aiming for a Jose' Burger at the Paradise Cafe. It should be yummy.
Walk good...

Kirsten: I woke up this morning with fine grit on my face, in my hair - even in my teeth because apparently I smile when I sleep. It was a long night.
The lack of sleep affected my hiking ability. And it was hot. Damn hot.
Damn hot, I said.

Luckily, Adrian is a patient man and we took a short day.
Finally, a quick word (I'll write more on this later) about the women on this trail. I have met two women so far who are hiking the PCT on their own. I think this is gutsy and totally cool. I can't wait to meet more.

2 comments:

njyo said...

Just wanted to send you thumbs up and good luck. Been reading your journal and as much as I wish for you that you could enjoy the remoteness of the PCT (i.e. no blogs etc.) I also hope for more of these well-written entries that make me wanna do the hike as well.

Nina and I wanted to do a re-union hike now SUN-MON but because the weather was not ideal (good-weather-hikers as we are) we decided to just go one day. Still, good to be walking again. Summer is here and I got to swim in a lake today. It was not as cold as the one above Refuge Jakob in Bariloche but it was still rather fresh. Tomorrow more.

Wish you all the best and I am happy to read that you guys sound at least as if you have good motivation and a good spirit. Good luck and "God tur!" as they say here in Norway. :)

_Wolf

Kirsten Korosec said...

Wolf! thanks so much for posting your comment. Go TEAM NORWAY! Which is what Adrian and I dubbed you, Nina and Hege during our Nahuel Huapi Traverse.

Take care,
kirsten