Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 11, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Idyllwild
Miles: 0

Adrian:
Happy Mother's Day Mom!!

A zero day in Idyllwild, it doesn't get much better than this. We are staying at the Taquitz Inn. They offer a good PCT hiker discount and the rooms are spacious with a kitchenette and living room. The room rate is $70/nt.

Today we do our typical town chores that include laundry, food and medical resupply, eating and resting.
I picked up a new pair of socks as two of my three sets have holes already. At that rate, we'll go through about 26 pairs...tough on the wallet at $15/pr!

The people of Idyllwild treat us like rockstars. The first lady we met, Judy, offered us watermelon, the second person offered us coffee, phone, electrical outlets and food. Such offerings have continued all day.
This is a great town and it even has world-class rock climbing as well.

We have found out the herd of hikers are about 5 days ahead of us. I don't feel like hiking with a ton of people so our position suits me well. We'll have plenty of time to catch up later.
Walk good...

Kirsten: I've given this a lot of thought over the past 10 days or so. I've decided to add a pair of flip-flops to my pack. I've actually spent hours thinking about this as I've hiked through the desert and over mountain passes. This has caused me considerable distress. Is it worth the extra weight? But I do need to air my feet in camp, right?
So today I made it official and bought a $1.99 pair of sky blue, some say glacier blue, flip-flops.
It's amazing, and a little sad, how much time we can spend thinking about a pair of 2-ounce flip-flops.

Why do we always get caught up in the little choices in life?

No comments: