Sunday, September 7, 2008

August 25, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Below Mt. Jefferson, Jefferson Wilderness
Miles: 30


Adrian: We added a new wild berry to the list available along the trail; the strawberry! This little guy bears fruit looking just like its domesticated cousin, but only a fraction of the size; think pea sized.


Rain, rain, rain, and wind. It was a nice soaking drizzle most of the day. My hands are suffering most from the cold. I have fleece gloves but I keep them off while hiking because I must keep them dry. Your hands get so cold you can't even open a ziplock bag without a major battle. It's like having lobster claws for fingers.

I'm sad Mts. Jefferson and Washington are shrouded in mist and therefore invisible to us. Jefferson is my favorite peak on the PCT, so I hope it clears soon.

We found a small spot just off the trail to pitch the tarp by headlamp. I cooked a quick meal of mashed potatoes and quickly jumped into my sleeping bag. I slept well.


Kirsten: We realized last night that we'll have to hike 30 miles a day to get to Cascade Locks before the post office closes for the Labor Day weekend.

It turns out it was the wrong day to start hiking 30-mile days. We woke up to a cold drizzle, which lasted much of the day. We took two rests during the brief breaks in the rain and didn't stop hiking until 8:30 p.m. The rain and cold was hard on us, of course.

What really got to me today was the lack of visibility. We are supposed to be hiking through some of the most picturesque sections of Oregon and the thick clouds swirling around us have eliminated all views. We managed to find a small spot to set up our tent just as the sun set and more clouds began to settle into the nearby meadow and surrounding. If this is any indication of what lies ahead for us in Washington, it's going to be a tough ending.

No comments: