Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 13, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Mig Lake, Alpine Lakes Wilderness
Miles: 23.5


Adrian: We climbed a lot today and after a full day of hiking, got into camp with plenty of time to cook and eat before dark. We're only hiking with Don't Panic right now, well for most of the time, so we are cranking off the miles and taking nice relaxed breaks. The fact that we only needed to do miles in the low 20s meant there was no pressure at work today.

To the north we can see big, snow-laden peaks that beckon us towards them - Glacier Peak stands out the most and is also the namesake of our next wilderness area.

I've seen an increase in marmots and pikas as of late and it makes me happy. Their whistles and chirps take the place of our iPods...thankfully. Pikas are faster and on the move while marmots tend to lounge in the sun on a flat rock.


It's the weekend, Saturday night, and we're camped at a lake that's only 4 miles from a trailhead. Yep, crowded with Seattleite campers up for the last backpack of the season. In our camp tonight is Lorenzo, the Brits, Clearwater, who made a surprise appearance after dark, and Don't Panic. Sharing our camp are two girls on a 2-night trip.

Tomorrow, to the Dinsmores...

Kirsten: The Alpine Wilderness area continues to impress and I'm enjoying myself despite the constant ups and downs. The views outweigh the switchbacks and keep me going even in the toughest terrain. I am a tad nervous about Glacier Peak Wilderness, specifically one of the river crossings. I've heard words like rushing water, giant log, scooting across. I don't particularly like the image I've conjured up in my mind.

Tomorrow we'll reach Stevens Pass and that means a hot meal and another milestone. The Dinsmores, trail angels living near Skykomish, open their home to hikers, so that's where we'll be. Our group may be reunited here and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, at least one last time. With Stehekin - our final town stop - just 100 miles to north and visions of crossing the Canadian border swirling in our heads I can no longer predict if we'll finish with our friends. I wish, of course, that Beautiful and Gorgeous were with us as well. I think they're about two days ahead and I don't expect to catch them before the end. Cheers girls, I hope to see you soon.

No comments: