Friday, September 12, 2008

September 9, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Mirror Lake, Mt. Baker/Snowqualmie National Forest
Miles: 23


Adrian: We are getting some good views of Rainier still but it is slowly disappearing to the southwest. We've had more stellar weather today and enjoy the hiking even though some of this terrain can be a bit tiring.


I've noticed the data points in our guidebook are lacking frequency enough to accurately represent the elevation change resulting in brutal hidden climbs. We're hiking through clear cuts of various ages so the hiking seems directionless and pointless. The nice thing is, is that each step is now piercing deeper and deeper into the heart of Washington State.

I've been spying some beautiful mountains to the north that I don't know the name of and I am pretty sure we go through.

Kirsten: I can actually picture Adrian stabbing his way through the forest. Scary. Aggressive? Probably. Hey, hike your own hike. I plan on walking to Canada. If Adrian wants to punch and jab his way north, well, I guess whatever works.

The trail today was a bit of a disaster. It seemed to take an odd and overtaxing route and I have to wonder if it's in an effort to avoid private land. The clearcuts have one redeeming quality - huckleberries. They are everywhere and I have spent a lot of time picking berries the past few days.

No comments: