Sunday, September 7, 2008

August 28, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Northern edge of Mt. Hood Wilderness
Miles: 23.7

Adrian:
We woke up and hiked the two miles and 1,000 vertical feet to Timberline Lodge on the western slopes of Mt. Hood. Beams of morning sunlight illuminated select mountain hemlock trees producing vertical shafts of liquid gold.



Timberline was built in the 1930s by the government as a way to help fight the financial depression that gripped the country at the time. A sort of grand Civilian Conservation Corps project if you will. The name of the department overseeing the building went by the name of something like Work Progress Administration. If someone knows the proper name please email it to me. Thanks.

You think a lot on the trail. Today I thought of my family and friends and how I miss seeing them. I'm not sure if it's a motivator to hike faster or get off the trail.

Kirsten: Holy crap, liquid gold? Note to self: Open up liquid gold mining operation in the vertical hemlock forests of Oregon. I also would love to someday see shafts of horizontal light. Maybe once we reach Washington there will be more horizontal shafts.

Once again Adrian failed to mention important highlights of day, namely our breakfast. This morning I had the best breakfast since I started the trail. The cheesy eggs are far more impressive than the liquid gold forests.
We reconnected with Moonpie and Lorenzo today at the lodge and ended up camping with them as well as Landshark and Caterpillar. The cheesy eggs and do-it-yourself waffles put a bounce in my step and the steep hike down from the lodge and subsequent 1,600-mile climb back up to another ridge seemed easier than it should have. If only I could eat cheesy eggs everyday.

No comments: