Sunday, September 7, 2008

September 1, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Blue Lake, Indian Heaven Wilderness
Miles: 23.5


Adrian: We had great views of Helens, Adams, and Hood today. The forests are very thick though, so the views are far between.

We woke around 6 a.m. to Clearwater and Don't Panic re-starting the fire from last night. Let me tell you how nice it is to warm up your hands one last time before hiking into a wet, cold, dark Washington forest. Mornings like this remind me of camping with my buddy Scott, who is the defacto morning fire guy. The sound of him splitting wood at daybreak has woken me many a times...good times.

I'm looking forward to finishing soon and seeing family and friends, but until then, we will walk good.

Kirsten: Our progress was slow today, in part because of the morning fire and the 2,000-foot climb right out of the campground.

The cold temperatures appear to be here for good and I spent much of the day hiking with gloves and a hat on. The trail in Washington has taken us through thick forest, which blocks the sun. Hopefully we get high above the tree line in the next few days.

No comments: