Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 7, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Big Crow Basin, Norse Peak Wilderness
Miles: 26


Adrian: The flawless weather continues and we are thankful for it. It is our plan to push hard each day we have good weather because we know how darn hard it is to hike many miles in a freezing downpour. I know that'll happen sooner or later, so we take advantage of the sun.

We got out of the tent around 6:30 a.m. and it is clear we are losing more daylight each day. It's OK though because we are right on schedule for a Sept. 25 finish to meet everyone in Manning Park.

I have to admit to something today. I committed the cardinal sin of giving a thru-hiker the wrong directional information and sent him down the wrong trail. Clearwater, when walking towards the trail from camp, confirmed with me that his direction on the trail was indeed northbound PCT. I said yes and I was wrong. That trail was not the PCT and it took me about 7 minutes to figure it out. I jumped up with my poptart in hand and ran down the trail after my friend. I caught up with him in about 10 minutes of well-paced trail running (I did not have my pack on).
Bad move on my part.

It was another day of great views of Rainier and we crossed into the national park named after it.

At camp we ran into Yeti and Lorenzo. It truly is amazing how you keep meeting people over and again. That's the PCT.

Kirsten:
Thank you Adrian for jinxing us once again with the flawless weather forecast. It is my one fear, the one thing I have no control over. The fabulous weather we've had has left me more nervous than pleased. I know how hard it can be to hike through bad weather. The cold can be especially draining. Every day we have sun I am thankful.

No comments: