Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 12, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Deep Lake, Alpine Lakes Wilderness
Miles: 27.5


Adrian: I lost our data book and map pages today while hiking, so that's not good. Luckily it's just the data for today and tomorrow morning.

While Kirsten was reading the guidebook to me in our tent tonight she shrieked when seeing a large spider right next to her. I dispatched it ASAP, and all was well. Phew!

We hiked with Don't Panic for most the day and made good time.

Kirsten: Maybe it was all that Seattle coffee he had. Whatever it was Don't Panic caught us after spending the night in Seattle and getting a late start. It was good to see him and both Adrian and I enjoy his company. Amazingly, Don't Panic manages to hike patiently along as I ramble on about random subjects.

We were going to camp at around 22 miles tonight. Once we reached the tiny spot we decided to push on another five miles and reached Deep Lake around 8 p.m. Everyone is behind us and I don't think we'll see them until Skykomish, our next town stop.

Adrian's mention of the spider, which was huge and about two inches from my head, reminds me of another creature we've had to contend with recently. The mouse has become my new nemesis. Two nights before we reached White Pass a mouse found its way into our tent. How do I know this? Well, I woke up to the pitter-pattering of little mice feet running over my head. I know, disgusting, right? Mice have essentially been given an invitation to our tent ever since our zip busted. I've had one other run in with the stealthy mouse. The night we camped at Mirror Lake I left a tissue outside the tent. I woke up to the loudest shredding sound I've ever heard and there sitting by the tent door was, yup, you guessed it, a mouse. I'm concerned that it's just a matter of time before one chews its way through our tent in search of food.

No comments: