Sunday, September 21, 2008

September 19, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Stehekin, WA., The Landing
Miles: 9

Adrian: We made it to Stehekin!!! This is such a major milestone that all sorts of thoughts are racing in my mind. Two years of planning and just under five months of hiking have brought us here, some 80 miles from the U.S.A./Canada border. We are poised to finish!


You have to take a National Park shuttle from the PCT trailhead 5 miles to town. Along the way we stopped at 300-foot Rainbow Falls, and a world-class bakery called the Stehekin Pastry Company...wunderbar! We stopped at the Lodge right next to he ferry landing. You see, Stehekin is only accessible via plane, boat and of course hiking, but you have to be crazy to hike here because its about 100 miles
from the nearest accessible pass.
The town sits on 60-mile long Lake Chelan and is within the boundary of North Cascade National Park - our 7th of the trip.

Kirsten: I was convinced I was going to hurt myself these last few miles to Stehekin. As we reached the bus stop, I finally relaxed and started to revel in our achievement.

We are here - the final town before the border. This town, which is really a small compilation of buildings set along Lake Chelan, is amazing. I'm already thinking of when I can return. The bus pulled into our stop and as various hikers stepped off we saw Don't Panic and Nick. They reached Stehekin the night before - as I suspected they would - and will likely reach the border two days before us. We said our goodbyes and piled on the bus headed towards this milestone of town stops.


Adrian and I have a room overlooking the lake and we're already contemplating another night. For now we're focused on helping Lorenzo celebrate his 59th birthday along with the rest of the Fun Train Express.


Moonpie will hopefully arrive tomorrow. We all had dinner at the Lodge's restaurant and later had cake, champagne and wine. I predict hangovers tomorrow.

No comments: