Sunday, September 7, 2008

August 29, 2008 Pacific Crest Trail

Destination: Bridge of the God's Motel, Cascade Locks
Miles: 20.5


Adrian: We made it the Oregon/Washington border today! That's huge.

We woke at 5:20 a.m. and were on the trail at 5:58. A little spring in camp provided the liter we would each take to start the day. We did lots of up hills, many more than what I thought there would be given what the data says. Anyway, Oregon was sending us off with a good workout on a high ridge. Views of Hood, Helens, Adams, and even Rainier were spectacular. The minute you think you've seen it all, the PCT shocks you with its beauty all over again.

We took a side trail down into Cascade Locks. This trail featured some of the most amazing waterfall scenery I've ever seen including a tunnel that goes behind particularly large falls. Much of the trail was blasted out of the cliff wall of the gorge.

We got a hitch into town from a career soldier on leave. He was a real nice guy who waited for us at the post office and then drove us back to a motel.

We went to the Pacific Crest Pub for pizza and Walking Man micro brews. Awesome!

Kirsten: I am typically energized on days when we are coming into a town. It's not about being in a town, although food is always a highlight for me. Reaching a town means we've made it to our destination. It also means we get to prepare for the next five- to seven-day stretch to the town or lodge up ahead.

Today I struggled. The morning started slowly with a rolling trail that took us through overgrown thickets of salmonberry, elderberry and huckleberry as well other regional perennials. The morning dew soaked my pants and I didn't dry out until later in the day.

I finally snapped out of my funk when we reached the Eagle Creek trail, an alternate route that takes you by numerous waterfalls. I was a little panicky we wouldn't make it to the post office in time until I ran into Pothead and Good Times. They told me I was much closer to town than I realized and we made it to the post office with plenty of time to spare.

There waiting at the P.O. were a number of boxes including a birthday card from my Dad, one from my Mom and Bill and another from my good friend Adrienne. Adrienne is the best gift giver I know and so I shouldn't have been surprised by what she gave me. Still, when I opened my card and saw she had collected encouraging words from our family, friends and even a former professor I was shocked to tears. Thank you Adrienne!

The rest of the night was spent with Moonpie, Caterpillar, Landshark, Beautiful, Gorgeous, Clearwater and a few new people including Hoffa.

No comments: